Illinois Music Honors Society
Illinois Music Honors Society is a Music Honor Society started by the Illinois Music Educators Association (ILMEA). It is a great way to link the entire music department in an honor society to help the community, as well as provide for specialized opportunties and social functions.
How do I become a member of IMHS?
Follow the link HERE to fill out the application. Submit the application by the stated deadline.
What are the commitments once I become a member?
You will be required to do community service hours as a member. Since this is a music honor society, you will be required to music-based service. Perhaps volunteer your time teaching junior high students lessons, ushering at a music department concerts, performing music at a nursing or retirement home, etc. You will be required to complete 4 hours of musical community service each semester you are an active member. Hours may carry over from semester to semester.
What else will IMHS do?
That is up to the Executive Board and its members. This group at OTHS will be what YOU make of it! Aside from service hours, this will be an opportunity for you to expand your musical experiences by attending special events and activites specifically designed with IMHS members in mind.
Who is invited?
Those students that possess all of the traits that a IMHS member should, complete the application, be serious about spreading music into the community, and being apart of a group that will foster new friendships.
Requirements for application:
1. Must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA
2. An entire academic year in a curricular ensemble
3. Must currently be a memeber of a curricular ensemble
Requirements of selected Members:
1. Do 4 service hours per semester
2. Participate in various events that IMHS will sponsor
3. Be available for an induction ceremony (Date: TBD)
Applicants will be informed of their acceptance by Friday, September 22, 2023.
Below is a list of the qualities desired in a IMHS member:
- Sets an example of good citizenship
- Follows school policies and procedures
- Willing to accept responsibility
- Respectful of others and their property